Day 138 – 17 December 2009: Yunnan Rock Forest & badminton in heals


The petrified forest is like a smaller scale fragmented and uninhabited Goreme (in Turkey), but it has an exotic other wordly feel to it, as if these were living beings that were suddenly turned to stone. However, my own visit here is a little spoiled by my re-emerging illness, the surprising chill of the morning and the breaking of my second camera of this trip, as I dropped while negotiating my way through a gap in the rocks.



the last photo taken with my second camera of the trick
Later in the day, we make a food and toilet stop in town. Here I see a cage outside of the shop with four cockerels in it, two of which are fighting. I thought that this was a cruel way to keep cockerels, but then realised the shop was restaurant when I see a chef walking out of it with a cleaver.

Bush camping tonight is on a remote dirt track. There is a house down the road from where we are stopped. We are noticed by some residents, and two young women come out onto the road dressed very much as if they are going out to club. However, although they are wearing heals, they start playing badminton in the middle of the road. This attracted some attention from some of our male crew and a few of them take turns chatting to them in their best sign language.

I am still ill and there is a pit toilet across the road from the house which I make use of a few times during the night. The toilets soon bear sign of their being a number of ill people in our group. I also notice while walking to the toilet that the house is a popular overnight truck stop....these would be the lady badminton players’ dates, I am guessing.

‘Numbskull of the Day’ nominations:
1.    1. Me, for dropping my second camera of the trip
2.    2. Chinese sing translators at the rock forest for inventing words such as ‘extinctiveness’
3.    3.  Er, well, Laurie, for ‘I have just found my hat (in her tent), even though I didn’t know it was lost’
4.    4. And the runaway winner is......hmm, Laurie protesting that she is ‘not dumbskull of the day!’

No comments:

Post a Comment