Day 118 - 27 November 2009: Beijing & Tiananmen Square


I feel so elated to finally get to the hotel at 9am that I actually feel wide awake. However, Laurie is already in bed when I ask her if she wants to go to Tiananmen Square, so I bed down too and wake up a few hours later.

We eventually go to Tiananmen Square in the afternoon. China has one of the governments that  insist its populace still pay homage to an old dead tyrant, and the Square has prominent portraits of Mao overlooking it. Of course he still features on its currency too. Abandoning the image of Mao would in some way abandon the government’s claim to power I guess.




We have dinner at a food court below a shopping mall. It’s called the Gourmet Club, but really it is just full of Chinese fast food, and it is not great. I decide to follow it with a KFC burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment