Day 109 - 18 November 2009: Lhasa


This morning I find a note from our driver telling us that we had to be on the truck tomorrow morning or ‘good luck catching us up’, to which someone had added in similar handwriting ‘you f***ing c****’ (without the asterisks). The mood with the truckies is not particularly good at the moment to say the least. To add to my own irritation, I am then accused of being the person who made the forementioned appendage to the note. I add to it saying ‘does this look like the same handwriting’?

Twenty of the group went on their Potala Palace tour today. Brian and Laurie express their annoyance at having paid 200 Yuan more than the gate price, but nobody is particularly supportive of their complaints. The bafflingly be-doctored Louise says she is quite happy to pay the extra ‘to help the local economy’, by which logic she would be quite happy to get mugged. I suggest that she could give her money to me, as I probably have less money than the owner of the ticket agency who they paid and I would definitely spend it on the local economy, mainly in its bars.

no Fall fans in Tibet....but a Meat Puppets one (see bag)
a bar / restaurant in Lhasa

very old vs very new: Potala Palace in the distance


Laurie and I had lunch in another ‘locals’ restaurant, i.e. a cheap place which is a basic room and chairs. It’s easy to get good inexpensive food here, and I am surprising myself by successfully negotiating these meals with chopsticks, not that I have any choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment