Day 114 - 23 November 2009: Lake Quinghai and arrive at Lanzhou


We are heading towards Lanzhou today and it is getting warmer and we are getting some sunshine too.


We pass by China’s largest lake, the saline Lake Quinghai. However, it’s far too cold to spend much time outside, so we just get out and take some photos, buy some food from the shop and get back in the truck.


In my current low mood, I am wearying of the supposed attractions that we are being wheeled about to in between long bouts of freezing on the truck. Upon being told that our destination, Lanzhou, has a famous ‘Peace Pagoda’, my reaction is to ask ‘can I bomb it?’.

On our way, we pass through Xining. Here you can see the pace of expansion in China, with multitudes of high rises being built all at once, seemingly in synchronicity. Unlike the UK at the moment, there is no shortage of work for builders here, as long as you don’t mind heights.

JC gets takes us 600km today, which is quite a feat though the improving nature of the roads does help. We get to Lanzhou for nine-ish and some truckies get excited as we pass three KFCs and a Dico’s passing through town to find a hotel. Laurie, though, is a determined localist when it comes to cuisine, and I let myself be steered towards a native restaurant. Fortunately, the proprietor speaks some English and I am able to order my favourite beef pepper noodles. Laurie has fresh noodles, which are pleasant, but both our dishes are over-dosed with MSG.
some random sites from the road
 

No comments:

Post a Comment