Day 92 - 01 November 2009: resting in Pokhara

I have a lazy day on the computer and resting, and I feel a lot better for it.

Since leaving London, the number of people who have commented on my The Fall band t-shirts has been a very round number. However, it is in Pokhara that I hear someone say ‘bloody hell, you can’t get way from it’ as I pass a restaurant where some Brits are sat outside. One of the faces at the table this comment has come from looks vaguely familiar.

A couple years ago I went to see The Fall in the now lamented Fez Club in Reading, where I live. After the show, and having had quite a few beers, I had a rambling chat with the then bass player of the band which ended when I stumbled away to get a pen and paper to get his web site for his other band only to return to find that he had scarpered. Just a few months later, this by now disillusioned line-up quite the band in the middle of The Fall’s US Tour leaving Mark E Smith (The Fall’s ‘singer’, boss and only ever present member) to complete the tour with only his current wife on keyboards.

Anyway, I have a feeling one of the guys at the table is the said bass player...although I can’t be sure as I was too shy to ask. It would be funny to say I failed to find any Fall fans around the world, but did bump into a former member. That said, given The Fall’s history of line-up changes, the one event is as likely as the other.

Later, Laurie and myself go to the Moondance bar for food and cocktails. Laurie is drunk after half a cocktail, admitting that she can’t take vodka. She calls me a wanker though when I try to help her finish her second one.

I had pizza for dinner. It’s got a good texture to the sauce base and plenty of cheese, but it’s too garlicy and the base is so-so. 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment