Day 102 - 11 November 2009: very cold in Tingri, Tibet


taking down the tents in the morning
The truck is still not going anywhere. There are several attempts by a group, of us, including me, to push the truck while JC tries to flip it into gear, with some people still sat in the truck. Unfortunately, the one time where the whole of the group are out of the truck trying to push it, I am at the other side of the road playing guitar. People are not at all happy with me when I catch up. To be honest, I don’t care. I watched as people merely clung on to the side, as there was not enough room for people to push from behind. Also, I’ve wearied of this group mentality, where every moment seems to be subject of self-appointed judges’ evaluation.


this is a real trekker, as we are miles from any town and he was walking along the road


Tempers cool down when we get a tow from another truck to Tingri, a small town often used as a base for trekkers and climbers. We disperse as a group in Tingri for lunch, without a timetable for when we should be back. We have reconvened by 4pm, but JC is still working on the gearbox. An hour later, he has fixed it, but it’s too late to go anywhere, so we get dorm rooms is a hotel in the town, which is only a road lined with some restaurants and some food supply shops. Laurie got me a dry sealed bag of what turns out to be chicken feet. I try one but, after offering them around, the rest go in the bin.

Running water in rural Tibet is a luxury and I have yet to find any. Electricity is also scarce. I am sleeping on the floor in the hotel next to Belgian Sam, who has a snoring bottom. I have a long uncomfortable night in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment