Day 89 - 29 October 2009: Day seven of Annapurna Base Camp Trek

Both knees are now giving me trouble. I don’t know which leg to side step down first with. From Chomrong to Jhinu, the next lodge stop, takes over two hours, having been advised by the landlady of the Chomrong Lodge that it should take one hour.
No obesity epidemic for Nepalese school children




We take a diversion from here to a hot spring, hoping it helps loosen up my joints. The spring is captured in a man-made bathing pool next to the white water rapids of what I think is the Kyumnu River (or it could be the Modi). It is a beautiful feeling sinking into the large naturally heated bath and I immediately feel better. There is also a flow of hot spring water gushing down next to the pool to make a natural shower.

Some local lads join us in the pool. They don’t speak English so we don’t speak to them, but they are quietly attentive towards Laurie, who is in the pool in her bra and knickers.




By the time I get out, I feel loose enough to bend down to touch my toes with opposite hands. However, we have to walk back up the valley to get back on the trail, and my pains re-emerge within five minutes or so.

Back at the Jhinu Lodge where we had lunch, the map says our next planned stop, Landruck, is two and a half hours away. The lodge manager says it is only two hours, or one hour for him. However, after almost two hours, we are only at ‘New Bridge’. Here, the map says Landruck is another two hours. Although it four o’clock now, we decide to go for it.

My left knee is still the one predominately painful. My right knee doesn’t really hurt, but it does decide to give way at random moments. About thirty metres after passing the last lodge at New Bridge, my knee buckles again, and we decide to go back. I am quite tempted by the prospect of a hot pizza advertised at the lodge anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment