Day 182 - 30 January 2010: jet skiing and a balcony party

It is Louise’s 40th today, and 9 or 10 of us go for a birthday breakfast. The restaurant would win no prizes on Saturday kitchen as the omelettes take up to 40 minutes to produce…and never mind the muesli I order. By the time we finish, and after an hour on the internet, it is one o’clock.

Later, after staying out of the sun for most of the afternoon, I go Jet Skiing with Sam. Jen decides to hitch a lift with me too. At 110 Ringits (c. £20), it is the cheapest half hour price we have come across in Asia, and the Jet Ski has 130hp too. It is plenty quick. I am glad we go half an hour and not a quarter hour, as it takes me 5 minutes to get the confidence to go full throttle. When we do, it gets the adrenaline flowing and the shorts wedging up our bums. Also, these things are surprisingly safe. At one point, I accidentally turn too sharply, and the jet ski goes 180 degrees, and stops before I put the throttle on and go zig zagging through the wake I have just created. There was much wooping from both me and Jen. I never looked at my speedometer as I didn’t realise it had one, but Sam did on his, and his peak speed was 52kph. Even with Jen on the back of mine, our machine was actually outpacing Sam’s, so we at least did 55. Not a bad experience for my first time on a jet ski.

Afterwards, we gather on the balcony outside Louise’s room for punch her roommates have made. It is potent enough for me to be quite merry after two cups. I am wearing a t-shirt I bought on Jen’s recommendation, hoping it’s because she thinks I would look quite attractive in it. It is a comparative luxury item, having been bought from a Tesco’s in Thailand. However, any hopes I have on this matter are somewhat handicapped by the two and a half months I spent rooming with Laurie, possibly the most flirtatious girl in the world. I am still having to deny any goings on even now, despite her boyfriend now being with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment