Day 238 – 27 March 2010: Lake of Fire


I am very glad that I slept on the van last night as when I wake up and look out the window, I see the girls tents dancing in the wind.

It was quite sunny yesterday so we were warmish despite standing at Purple Peak exposed to the wind. This morning though is cool and cloudy and when we head back down to Akaroa for breakfast, I find that the swimming with dolphins trip has been cancelled due to the brisk conditions.

Heading south, we stop for in a service town called Fairlie for a lunch stop by a rugby pitch. Turning westwards, by early evening we are by Lake Tekapo at the YHA Hostel, where we pitch up tents by the lake. After our bush camping travails during the UK to Oz part of our journey, I have to say that I wearied of camping, but here in New Zealand, it’s a luxury to be able to sleep outside in these surrounds. We even get use of the hostel’s facilities, so there’s no hassle with trying to cook on gas in the wind.

The sunset over Lake Tekapo, a serene deep blue lake surrounded by mountains, has to be the most brilliant colourful one I have ever seen, with the purples, pinks and reds changing hue every few minutes as the sun sank into the horizon.

After cooking another fish dinner for the ladies, we while away the darkness sat in the hostel living room by the log fire.
Purple Peaks view at dawn

Akaroa
Sunset at Lake Tekapo
 





No comments:

Post a Comment