Day 233 – 22 March 2010: more Health & Safety Blues


Mary, Caz and I are leaving for Christchurch tomorrow and today is a day of goodbyes. First Just John leaves for Melbourne in the morning, and then later we go out for dinner to mark our last night with Jen, who is staying in Sydney to find work.

During the day, I make a journey to the post office as I want to offload some weight before my journey to NZ. I had wanted to post home a camera and a phone, but I am told that the lithium batteries inside the devices can’t be posted as they are a safety hazard. I suppose they could be, if there was a bomb attached to them. On the walk back I resolve to find a policeman to ask for permission every time I cross the road, but I can’t find any. I brazenly cross the empty Sunday roads without even finding a marked lighted crossing. I don’t know how I’ve survived this life so far.

I then took a quick ride on the circular overhead metro line around the centre of Sydney. This is not a bad to way to see the city from an elevated position, including Circular Quay and Darling Harbour.

Meeting up with the remaining gang for dinner, we meet Maria, an Irish girl who is also looking for work in Sydney and who says she has spotted a restaurant in Darling Harbour offering a $10 deal. Darling Harbour being a marina surrounded by restaurants with generally harbour-side prices, it is no surprise when we don’t find any restaurant there offering such prices. Instead we go to the nearby Chinatown, where competing hawkers try to entice us into their respective restaurants. The one we choose isn’t busy, but it is a very pleasant meal. It was probably better than any we had in China, even though I quite enjoyed food when we were there, until I overdosed on MSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment