Day 225 – 14 March 2010: London to Sydney overland (well just about). Done. Now what?

The end....of the beginning.

I am not feeling too healthy after my Tabasco beer experience.

Arriving in Sydney, we must look like a band of gypsies taking out our tents and laying them on the grass in the middle of the city to dry them out.

We say goodbye to Scouse Pete, his wife Pam, Big John and Tracy, and Mario and Jana, the Germans off to adventure on their own from here. The rest of us move into Sydney Harbour YHA, a busy modern hostel with all mod cons which is built on top of some ruins which date all the way back to, oh I don’t know, the last decade, and which are on display on the ground of the open central courtyard. On the top floor, there is open rooftop seating with a view over Sydney Harbour and the Opera House.

In my room, which I am sharing with Joost, Shay and Dan, the former two shave off the beards which they have been cultivating in South East Asia. They do it in stages to test the various looks they could adopt, before wisely deciding to finish the job.

We have a rooftop drinks party, with Lucinda, who rejoined the group in Melbourne, fulfilling her now unpaid role of organiser in chief. My night ends though when I come out of the toilet to find that everybody has left, presumably onto a pub.


No comments:

Post a Comment