Day 223 – 12 March 2010: After 223 days I no longer know nor care where I am


Another long driving day through ‘roo territory: one kangaroo hops speedily along the side of the bus for a while before mysteriously deciding to headbutt it. I think it survived but, with that sort of behaviour, probably not for long.

Scots Widow Helen is the first person we say goodbye to in Australia. We drop her in Sale, where she is seeing some friends. In a few days, we’ll all be saying goodbye, at least I think we will as I have no idea still where I am going after Sydney.

We stop for lunch somewhere I never did learn the name of, but it has a coastal national park, which is separated from the mainland by an intercoastal river. Near the bridge across the river to the beach park is an elaborate sand carving featuring an intertwined collage of sealife shapes. I walked along the vast near deserted beach towards a pump throwing up sand and seawater back into the ocean. Walking back through rich vegetation in sand dunes off the beach, I came across a number of items of human detritus such as used tampons and condoms.

It’s Joost’s birthday today and tonight’s bush camp turns into a party, and this means another round of underwear ripping. I can think of some circumstances where having my pants ripped off would be quite desirable, but none of those circumstances involve a burly Dutchman.

I try to go to bed, but Joost is not tolerating it, or at least I’m not tired enough to sleep through his boisterousness. I get back up, finally bedding down last at about 2a.m., after chatting to Jen for a couple of hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment