Day 217 – 06 March 2010: Seven Months in Wiltshire


I had been considering getting up early this morning to go swimming with dolphins, which is offered in the marina for A$90. However, a night drinking wine with John and Tracy put paid to that.

Last night was our only one in Adelaide, so today feels like an ‘airport day’. Although we are not leaving until five o’clock this afternoon, we have to be out of the campsite by ten, and we are only really leaving because UK to Oz are looking to save money by getting us to bush camp as much as possible.

I walk back to Glenelg to pass the day. I am not too interested in the centre of Adelaide as this just reminds me of business centres you would find in British cities, with its expensive wine bars. In Glenelg, at the end of the tram line, there is one train claiming uniquely to be ‘a piece of history’. I suspect it is no older than the average train on the London Underground. After a while lolling around near the beach, where there are camel rides on offer and a brass band in a pavilion playing Beatles covers, the weather begins to turn and I make my way back to the bus. Walking along the beach with the rain starting to come down and the sea turning rough, it dawns on me that I have just spent seven months travelling through Hampshire, the Taj Mahal having been moved to Basingstoke.

By the time everybody is back on the bus, the rain is lashing down. Another fine night’s bush camping beckons....

No comments:

Post a Comment