Day 208 – 25 February 2010: a paradise in the outback


Steve likes to take us to visitor centres where we can read the aboriginal myths about how this landscape was created as if they were fact. But only for half an hour at a time, or 32 minutes if that makes the return time rounder.

After the round of visitor centres, we walk around Katherine Gorge, a stunning river valley in Nitmiluk National Park. Well, it’s certainly a river right now. We were hoping to go swimming in it, but with the high water, it is likely that crocodiles have got into it. However, the view over it from the cliff top makes me feel like I am on a real trek through the wilderness, although of course we are parked at the visitor’s centre less than an hour’s walk away.

We don’t miss out on swimming either, and I am glad that we didn’t go down to the river, because Steve leads us to a waterfall pool which is elevated above the valley. The fall is about ten metres high and the pool would be perfect for naked frolicking if I was here with just a girlfriend and not a half dozen other tourists, as well as the whole UK to Oz crew. Still, we have a lot of fun diving in from the rocks, and swimming towards the bottom of the fall to take an impromptu natural power shower. It is the most beautiful setting for a swim I have ever experienced.

However, after an hour or so, it starts to rain progressively heavier, and the paths on the walk back have turned into small rivers of their own. However, it is neither cold nor muddy, so I am unperturbed until I discover just how wet everything in my bag is. I’m crossing my fingers for my third or fourth camera of the journey, hoping it will dry out.

We camp at the side of the road at another overnight lay-by, this one with drop toilets and a modicum of cover. I am on the cooking party tonight, and do bbq sausages with lashings of rain.












No comments:

Post a Comment