Day 193 – 10 February 2010: A star is born


our ferry to Java
 



our accommodation
We are not staying on Batam so we are back to the ferry terminal to catch a 26 hour ferry to Java. Lu, who has now earned the title of ‘sir’, had been told by various staff at the ticket office that the ferry would leave at any time between 11am to 5pm, but most probably from one o’clock to half past two, we take the precaution of being at the terminal for 11:30. Thereby, there is a long wait until 5pm when the ferry arrives, and then another couple of hours before we board, and another two hours before we actually depart.

I find the people of Indonesia very friendly and, for a change, most of them express no desire to sell something to you. I chat to a few of the fellow passengers, of which there are several hundred. Apparently, this is off-peak and there are usually a few hundred more. Many of the passengers are traders and are carrying sack loads of goods with them, which is part of the reason it takes so long to get on board.

We had been warned that we would probably want to ‘upgrade’ to cabins, the economy class being huge dormitories of side by side beds. However, with plenty of storage space under each of the beds and though the mattresses are little more than mats, it is far more comfortable than my night time ferry ride from Ko Tao. I suppose there was a worry that we would be surrounded by hawkers hustling us their wares, but while many passengers are curious, they are genuine, and the only people trying to sell anything are selling snacks and tidbits and they all get off the ferry before it departs. I should have bought some food off them because, although meals are included with the price of the ticket, these consist of a fish head and some rice.

Although there is not a legal prohibition, I correctly guessed that no alcohol would be sold on board, Indonesia being the largest Muslim country in the world. In fact the small print on the back of the ferry ticket does include a warning that no ‘strong’ alcohol can be consumed on board. I had stocked up on some beer at port and having finished them, I lead a group of us to an on board karaoke café I discovered. Me being the only one of board who has brought enough beer to find myself slightly tipsy, I am also the only one drunk enough to take up singing duties.

The song list largely consists of Indonesian pop. There are a few familiar British or American names, but often the songs are their less familiar ones. One CD has the sole Stones song ‘I Got the Blues’, but also features two Mick Jagger solo songs, so if you ever wondered who bought those records Keef…..suffice to say, there are no Fall songs on the playlist.

I had only intended to sing a couple of songs, but soon the others are submitting a long list and volunteering me to sing them. I start with House of the Rising Sun, and then a serenading (to Jen) version of Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton. After that, I don’t even know half the songs I end up singing, with Shay having submitted some Westlife thing. Finally I belt out All by Myself which I am only familiar with through childhood memories of MOR American radio. Having pondered what I will do with myself when I eventually return home, I am fuelled by a new ambition to be a cruise ship warbler.


No comments:

Post a Comment