Day 194 – 11 February 2010: a stormy night and a surprise change at the helm

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling very sweaty, which is not helped by the vinyl mats. I went outside for a cigarette and realised that there had been a heavy storm and the deck was still wet with puddles. Mario and Jana, the German adventurers who tend to keep themselves to themselves, chose to sleep outside last night. This may or may not have anything to do with them having beds next to mine. I learn later that, during the height of the storm, the ship’s crew offered them shelter in the control deck, and Mario was even allowed to take the helm for a while.

It was never going to be easy to have a lie in this morning on an open plan deck, but it is made impossible by the man on the bed next to me who plays music loudly on his phone at six in the morning. I go outside for a bit, but am then disturbed by the call to prayer from the mosque on the upper deck at the back of the ship.

Breakfast this morning is slightly more edible than dinner last night, consisting of an omelette with rice and chillies. For lunch, we are back to the dry fish heads. I think the first class cabins get the rest of the fish. There is some more edible food available, but it costs extra.

I spend most of the day lolling around reading, with the occasional foray outside to sample the air and pollute it with my cigarette smoke.



No comments:

Post a Comment