Day 188 – 05 February 2010: oops, another kangaroo court?

We will be leaving the Big Orange Truck tomorrow when JC drops us all at the bus station to get a bus to Singapore. We will then be travelling through Indonesia by ferry and buses before flying on to Darwin.

There is a group truck clean this morning, which I only discover when Brian comes back to the room with my tent and sleeping bag, as everything has been removed from the BOT. ‘Oh, bugger’, I say to myself, remembering the kangaroo court I was subjected to when I missed a truck clean in Turkey. By the time I straggle to the car park where the truck is, the cleaning has been done. However, since leaving China, everyone has chilled out and, approaching the end of the trip, everybody just laughs when they see me coming. Even hair trigger tempered Pete doesn’t swear at me.

After the truck clean, I go to the Maritime Museum, which is largely a display of naval history and warships, as well as a replica of Portuguese Man-o-war ship ‘Flora de La Mar’ which sunk after its crew looted Melaka in 1511.



Unfortunately for JC, the shipment that the truck had been booked to be sent home on has been cancelled, with the recession in the west causing a slump in demand for Malaysian exports. This means that JC will have to wait in Malaysia for another month to get it on the next one. He had been looking forward to going home to see his girlfriend, so in the afternoon we go for a walk to find a suitable bar to help him drown his sorrows.

Suitably drowned, on the walk back from the bar we come by a bus that has been left empty and unlocked at a bus stop. It occurs to us that, although we aren’t able to take the truck to Singapore, we might get away with taking a bus. Settling into the driver’s seat though, JC finds that the keys have (fortunately) not been left with the bus.
Caz joins us for the looting of a bus...oo arrr

No comments:

Post a Comment