Day 206 – 23 February 2010: A ghost town of shopping malls


We arrive at Darwin at three in the morning and are met by Steve, our guide in Australia, at the airport. He looks like a rabbi in shorts. We find ourselves being crammed into a mini-bus somewhat less comfortable than the far from luxurious big orange truck.

He takes us to a campsite where I have to put up my tent in the dark as my headtorch has stopped working.

In the morning, we are driven into Darwin centre. Although Darwin has expanded a lot in recent years, the mass of new construction seems to be the hiding place for everybody as there is hardly anybody on the streets. We are told that the streets pack out in the night with backpacking revellers. There are some nice walks along the coast where there are mangroves, though I think there are salt water crocs in these parts, so I don’t go too near the coast. It’s raining too.

Australia is even more expensive than I anticipated, though a major reason for this is the strong Aussie dollar.

Back at the campsite, I go for a swim in a hot pool before dinner. Steve serves us two lamb chops each, which is a feast compared to what we were used to getting while camping with the BOT.




No comments:

Post a Comment