Day 281 – 09 May 2010: Australians take another British Crown


If you need to get to Sydney from Melbourne, then fly. Most Australians do. I say this even though I hate flying. Flying is more comfortable (as long as you are not having a panic attack), much quicker and, on top of this, cheaper. The train is wobbly and slow, not unlike the train ride we had taken through Java in Indonesia, though that train at least had much more entertaining company by way of train jumping merchants selling everything from ginger beer to batteries, and aisle dancing she-male entertainers singing 'a-wallah-wallah-wah, ah-wallah-wallah-wah'. None of that on this train though. The only people on it are retirees. Sorry if that seems ageist, but my mood was tarnished by this experience, not only because for the first time that I can think of I became train sick, but also because of my fellow passengers.
Though I selected to go first class for this trip as it wasn't that much more expensive, and the carriage quite sparsely populated, my queasy state wasn't helped by the never ending conversation between two biddies sat behind me. Though they had never met before, they both seemed to be trying out for the Olympic endurance conversation team, and they had plenty of nothing to say to eachother, telling not very interesting tales about people one of them knew but the other didn't. One of the voices was more dominant and carriage penetrating than her opposite number, but the quieter rival had a special weapon of being able to make long slow 'oooh yeeesss' sounds, thankfully not in the ecstatic sense as this would really have sent me over the edge, but in the nodding your head slowly sense. She had exquisite timing, as she was able to make these sounds just as the louder one was beginning the sentence she was already agreeing with. Class act, I tip her to dip in for the Gold by a nodding head length...
After six of the eleven hours of the journey had passed, I had to change seats and the rest of the journey was more peaceful, if still a little queasy.
For long journeys like this, the passengers are invited to check in their luggage which gets put into a secure baggage carriage. When we finally arrive at Melbourne, a baggage handler lays out the suitcases in a neat line, while a queue forms at the top of this line. I can see my suitcase at the front, but I assume that the queue is there because there will be some sort of checking process where the luggage is matched against our tickets. I am wrong. When the handler nods his head to signal that he has finished, the orderly queue melts into a slow scramble of people picking out their bags. Have elderly Australians got some misplaced and bizarre nostalgia for communist bloc disciplines? Actually, I don't think that's it. I suspect that it is that us Brits have always thought of ourselves as the world's best queuers, but the Aussies want to beat us at everything nowadays.
I realise it is me who may appear to be the old git.
Ceri is on hand to collect me at the train station. We get to their place in Richmond at about 7:30 in the evening and drink a couple of the bottles I had left there in March after my wine tasting adventures in the Clare Valley.
My travels are at a point of hiatus, as I will be taking this opportunity to stay still for a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment