Day 268 – 26 April 2010: the last of the lamb


On the way to Auckland, we are shocked to be passed the other way by Olive. Somebody has stolen our van! Well, at least she survived. We reach Auckland for lunch time and stop at Freeman’s B&B again.
Leaving Caz and Mary at the guesthouse, I drive Albert back to the Escape office to give him back, with Heide in charge of map reading. She is staying at the Base Hostel, one of which I had sampled to my detriment in Sydney, where I found the room next door to be occupied by drunk teenagers being sick outside their door. I leave her there to walk the twenty minutes or so back to Freeman’s, arranging to meet up with her for dinner.
Too tired to get up to much today, and with Caz, Mary and I choosing to take a room instead of camping out in the back garden, I take advantage of use of a bed and of free internet. At dinner, we meet up with Heide to find a place that serves lamb, as Mary and I want to taste some fresh NZ sheep one last time before we leave these shores. We find a pub restaurant that serves lamb shank. It is not expensive, although the beer is at $14 a bottle (c. £7).
Afterwards, we went to a bar near the Base Hostel that played loud music preventing any conversation. We quickly decide we are too tired to stay for any more than one drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment