Day 253 – 11 April 2010: a boar in Marlborough Sound...gutted


In the queue to get on the ferry, we notice a pick-up truck with some dogs in its bay overlooking a dead boar tied onto the open bay door. When we board the ferry we are parked directly behind it, which is a bit too close for Mary and Caz’s comfort. We can see that the boar has been gutted. This definitely wouldn’t be allowed onto the Dover to Calais ferry.
The ferry trip is due to last three and a half hours, but two hours of this is spent negotiating the Marlborough Sounds. Predictably, and it is my boring duty to report, it is very beautiful. The Lord of the Rings films have done much to publicise the beauty of this country. My wonder is, what took Hollywood so long?
Once we get out of the sounds, the wind gusts over the deck and I have to hold onto my hat. It would be great to be on a sail boat crossing this channel.
In Wellington, we go to Wellywood Backpackers Hostel on Tory Street. Already we can note the difference between the North and the South. Parking in Wellington is a problem. On Sundays, parking on the street is free, but I will have to get up tomorrow morning to move Olive to a car park which costs $10 a day, and I will then have to move her back on the street for the evening.
The hostel is comfortable enough with a large communal area taking up the whole of the fourth floor. However, there are a lot of younger backpackers here, so I feel a bit old.
There seems to be a bit of an indie music scene in Wellington. A club up Tory Street has some bands on in the evening, though I am too tired to go out after having a few ciders at a pub on Cuba Street where I watch people pass by.











No comments:

Post a Comment