Day 260 – 18 April 2010: Sheep Shearing Capital of the World, population 4,000 and decreasing


We have to wait until the afternoon for our replacement van so, after taking advantage of Escape covering our expenses for our stay here by having a huge fry up breakfast at the motel, we walk down into Te Kuiti.
Besides the huge statue of a man shearing a sheep, there is not much to see here. The town is seemingly populated by a lot of bored looking teenagers. It’s like a mini-Slough, the commercial estate town west of London made famous by the John Betjeman poem ‘Come friendly bombs fall on Slough, it isn’t fit for humans now’...
We stop at a pub that looks like a warehouse from the outside, but is full of slot machines inside. I get asked for ID and show the bar lady my UK driving licence. She asks me if I have anything else (I don’t), and then asks me where the date of birth is on it. I am bloody thirty-eight for Chrissakes. A petite twenty eight years old, Caz doesn’t have any ID on her and walks out of the pub without saying anything to us, so Mary and I sit down to have a couple of drinks. I get the feeling Caz is feeling a bit moody today, but she comes back to us while we are sat outside the pub having indulged in some retail therapy.
We have dinner back at the motel. The restaurant by reception and lounge area is quite homely and only we are the only customers there, so I wasn’t expecting much from the food. However, Mary’s lamb shank, which I have a taste of, is quite delicious and perfectly cooked, though my steak’n’turf is less memorable.
Our new van arrives while we eating dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment