Day 254 – 12 April 2010: Outsized Spitting Image and a ‘Gents’ club on main street


Having wasted most of the day sorting out pictures and finances on the computer, I go off to the parliament building, Wellington being the capital of New Zealand. However, when I get there at 4:10 I am told I have missed the last tour, so I go across the street to the ‘Backbenchers’ pub.
This is populated by some official looking people going through their briefcases of papers while outsized caricature puppets hang from the walls and ceiling. I am sure that they are very well known in New Zealand, but I can’t say I recognise any of them, although the style of the puppets makes me think they are probably made by the same people who made the Spitting Image (UK satirical show) puppets in the 80s and 90s.
I decide to go back towards Cuba Street, the pub hub of the city. Walking along the main shopping street, I notice a poster of a comely woman in a bathtub. ‘Care to join me?’ it says. This ‘Gentlemen’s Club’ is professionally presented so that it fits in perfectly with its other more conventional commercial outlet neighbours. Not that I go in, I hasten to add.
Later, I meet up with Caz and Mary to get an Indian Kiwi curry, which is comparable to the standard fare you would get in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment