Day thirty one - 1 Sept 2009; Goreme, quad biking, Turkish dancing


In Goreme we stay at a Kaya campground, a campsite chain in Turkey. Most of us slept in a cave room under the main reception / shop building. Lots of people are now sick, including me. Hughie wakes up everyone in the middle of the night with a great big hughy.

John, Tracy, Gaz, Andrew, Dave, Meg and I go quad biking. This is a dirty thrill in highly scenic surroundings and an highlight of the trip so far. It prompts debates about whether this is better than the paragliding and most people agree that is was.
selling freshly squeezed orange juice at the very dry mid-point of the quad bike run

We were guided by a boy who looked about 14 and someone else who backed him up on a bike occasionally. Although the boy was regularly doing stunts on two wheels, I got a warning and then a final warning about speeding around. It was very strange being told off by a 14 year old boy. I felt like I was at school again and being subject to the whims of a prefect. I will later come to feel that this whole journey resembles something of an extended school field trip.
getting ready to woo

Princess Rhi

belly dancing...not always sexy
Caz and Rhi suddenly acquiescent
Rhi and Caz, one a more enthusiastic participant than the other
In the evening, we go to a restaurant for a ‘Turkish night’. We are promised as much beer as we like, but in truth, once the dancing starts, the waiters are difficult to find. I only have one beer, but I am not well anyway. The dancing wasn’t the most impressive I have seen, but maybe I was just grumpy. They got the crowd involved towards the end, with Rhi being crowned 'Princess' for the night as one of the dancers performed what I shall call a 'wooing' dance to her (she waved him away, causing some consternation). Most of us seemed to be under whelmed with the night though. Or just tired and ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment