Day forty - 10 September 2009, Babak Castle, Iran

Bush Camp blues part 1: We drive to a camp near the bottom of the mountain upon which Babak Castle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babak_Castle) lies. I had intended to climb the mountain with others, but find myself being left behind as I clean the truck, and I don’t particularly want to go up on my own. I am particularly annoyed by Meg and Dave, as I helped to put their tents up. I try to follow later, but in my red mist state, I go up the wrong valley and after an hour or two I stop. I don’t know where I am going and the sun is starting to disappear behind the nearest mountain so I go back down. Apparently, it is quite a spectacular site up there, with added charm being provided by a couple of shepherds who have taken over the castle for keeping their herds in.

At night it starts to rain, but there are some pagodas at the campsite, so we sit ourselves under these. As it gets dark one car of Iranian men arrives and then leaves soon after. It returns & departs again and repeats this a few times, and we are wondering if this has anything to do with us. Eventually it comes back and stays, parking almost on top of John and Tracey’s tent. Later, lots of motorbikes descend on the campsite making lots of noise and kicking up mud. Men start walking around our tents. We hope they are just curious. They eventually set up camp themselves and our ladies have put their headscarves back on. These men noisily leave in the early hours of the morning.

I have to get up in the night to relieve myself and find a fox hovering around my tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment