Day thirty four - 04 September 2009: Septimus Bridge, Nemrut Dagi



Septimus Bridge
We visit the 9th century Septimus bridge where we take the opportunity to cool off the stream below. It seems to be a popular bathing place with gypsies as well.

Earlier we visited a castle in a remote town, but it has been closed to the public for the past 4 months. We have a walk around anyway, mostly to please Joost, our castle buff Dutchman.

I perform a sing song to a select audience. My guitar playing is getting worse as I am a victim of uncomplimentary language every time I try to practice.

Today was also my first use of what I shall refer to as the ‘bear toilet’ (where do bears go?). I picked my place carefully, building a rocky perch on a path not entirely invisible from the main road, but at least hidden from site of the truck. My search for the right location causes my break to last 24 minutes according to JC’s tachograph. This statistic will be relayed to me at many a toilet break to come.
Nemrut Dagi

This one's 1st century ancestors probably had much bigger loads
At the end of the day, we reach Nemrut Dagi (pronounced NEHM-root dah-uh), the peak of which stands at 2147m. At the top is an archeological site, thought to be a burial ground and holy site dating from the 1st century, with lots of carvings of large heads and various beasts. We walk to the peak to watch the sun go down, myself and big John carrying beers which fizz up with the altitude.
at the top of Nemrut Dagi

Jen

At night, I sleep on top of the truck, but strong gales disturb my sleep and I have to bury my head in bag to avoid being blown away in a sleeping bag balloon.

No comments:

Post a Comment