Day 64 - 04 October 2009; Dharamshalah



Dharamshala at night (Meg J photo)

Dave at the hotel

another lost soul escaping from the stresses of the modern world

There are monkeys on the balcony near my hotel room when I get up in the morning. They have big teeth and are quite intimidating a sight, though they scarper if approached.
Today I have a relaxing day pottering around and doing some shopping. I buy a shirt that resembles a straight jacket and get my hair cut by a barber who liked to take breaks for cigarettes and phone calls. He also tried to sell me taxi and trekking services, which I decline.

I go with Dave down the crumbling mountain road to the local hospital as he is suffering an ear infection, but there are no doctor’s there at weekends. The condition of the roads here does make me wonder how the taxi’s, which are old frail looking Tatas or something, manage to stay in one piece.

Earlier in the day, I also visited the Dalai Lama temple, but it is surprising low key, if you can call a yellow building low key. It does have a peaceful ambience though. I stop in the book shop and buy a Buddhist folk story book and find some of the stories have surprising morals.

Dinner was my first Indian pizza. I give it a 7, just about.

No comments:

Post a Comment