Day 311 – 08 June 2010: Rafting on Merced River

The drive toward Yosemite is a long winding one up mountains through the long valleys and is worth quite a few picture stops. I notice that the river looks like good rafting territory, and when I spot a rafting company off the side of the road, I hastily pull off skidding dust onto all the people sat outside the front.

Booking an afternoon trip, I then check myself into the Yosemite Bug hostel. I had passed it earlier, but it advertised itself as a rustic lodge. Around here, that could be code for expensive, but in fact I find it quite homespun with cabins set in a mellow woodland atmosphere. A stay in the twelve bed dorm costs $27 inc tax.

With the exception of an overly long safety briefing, the rafting on the Merced is the most exciting I have done, with plenty of big up and downs. It also helped that I was sat at the front of the raft (next to a bloke from Manchester) maximising the thrills, spills and splashes. After two and a half hours on the river, I am knackered and relieved that I hadn’t been tempted to book a full day for tomorrow.

When I get back to the hostel, I find the dorm room empty until I meet Natalie, who comes out of the shower room wearing her towel around her head, bikini bottoms and nothing else but her hands to cover her modesty. She introduced herself as she got dressed and invited me to share some of her food, as she is leaving the hostel tomorrow and has a lot leftover.

At dinner in the kitchen, we get talking to three college kids who turn out to be our sole roommates in the dorm. We spend the rest of evening playing Trivial Pursuit while I nurse some wine. I had been something of a champion of Trivial Pursuit when I was on the UK to Oz trip, but Usha, who is studying physics at university, rather overshadows me with her scientific knowledge.






No comments:

Post a Comment