Day thirteen - 14 August 2009, Bulgaria, chicken gizzards and a monastery





Posted by Picasa
I was on ‘cook duty’ last night, meaning it was the turn of my team of three (myself, Belgian Sam and small, shy and ginger haired Caroline) to cook. This meant that we got to sleep on the truck to be there for setting up breakfast. I was late this morning apparently, although I wasn’t told that I needed to be ready for 6:30 until 6:20.

It takes us several hours to get out of Romania. The truck needs a wheel replacement, but nobody will let us stop on their land to do the necessary work.

We get into Bulgaria and stop at a monastery which has a hostel. We sit down for beers wondering whether we are camping or in the dorms. Eventually it emerges we are in dorms, although I only find out by asking.

I inspect the dorms, but the mattresses are like hammocks and the dorm I am supposed to be in stinks. This latter fact may be due to a number of old men with missing limbs sharing the dorm – it later emerges one has relieved himself from the backside in his bed. I decide I would rather sleep on top of the truck.

After a cheese infested dinner, and chicken gizzards which we feed to a cat, Tipperarian Hughie suggests we ‘going for a walk’. Despite me wearing sandals, and with Dave and Meg wearing flip flops, this walk turns out to be a climb to the top of a 250m hill in the dark, the cliff face of which faces the monastery. In daylight, this is a pay attraction featuring caves. Only Andrew (Welsh, wannabe adolescent psychotic) has walking boots, but he has the balance of a three year old.

It turns out to be good fun though, and we take a midnight swim in our underwear in an icy cold pond. This is briefly re-invigorating, although we are possibly subject to hypothermia*.

During the walk, I rip my colourful surfer dude trousers bought in Bude in Cornwall just a month or two earlier. This turns out to be the first of a number of trouser episodes on this trip.
By the time we reach the bottom of the hill, I am knackered. It has been a clear sunny day and Meg and I get on the roof to bed down.

*the next morning, Hughie goes to see the caves, and it emerges that the pond is infested with water snakes

No comments:

Post a Comment