Day 355: 22 July 2010 - Home


Just ten days short of a year after I left England, I fly back on an overnight flight from Barbados. As the plane flies over the green pastures of the southwest counties in the dawn hours of the morning, I feel a sense of excitement about arriving back home and catching up with friends.

However, this sense quickly dissipates on the taxi ride home. Over the past year, almost everyday has offered a new experience, and I feel that my world has completely changed, but as the taxi turns into the high street of the village where I spent my formative years and where my parents still live, it seems odd to me that everything should look exactly as I left it. It was like a time warp, as if the past year had never happened, and I realised then that my re-integration into a ‘normal’ life would not be an easy one.



No comments:

Post a Comment